Saturday, November 20, 2010

We'll Start With the Seed of an Idea


Work work work.

There are so many things that go into doing a play. I'm so hard on theatre but it is a continual wonder that anything ever goes up at all and that there aren't more horrible injuries and catastrophic things.

Knock wood.

This play has lots of 'stuff'. It is momentarily overwhelming, from scene to scene, character to character, but ultimately really fun. And we haven't even seen more of the 'stuff' yet. It is coming in by the day.

Cats. Mushrooms. Sneakers and bowler hats. Hookahs and hula hoops and sneakers and sticks.


CUPS WITH MUSHROOMS ON THEM.

The creativity of other people is so incredible to me. I feel limited by my own creativity. Which I have to tell myself is boundless, because I do continue to persevere in the thought that deep down somewhere I am a creative person. Even if it doesn't feel like it.

But it's so wonderful when other people surprise you with the way their minds work, with the things that they are able to think up. I guess, in response to my earlier statement that it is amazing anything goes up, the creativity of a group of people is really the only reason why it does. It's a super talented group. I feel very lucky to be there.

We had a very rough shape of the play, in terms of blocking, some technical stuff, and today we began shading things in. Going back and finding moments, choosing details. It's the best work. The hardest work, in a lot of ways, especially because I feel that my characters are very indistinct. I'm not doing a good enough job in finding them. Not yet. But I am mostly off book so hopefully now the focus moves to playing. To letting that creativity GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment