Wednesday, November 17, 2010

'A' my name is Alice and I want to play the game of love

I am here:


Sudbury means 'I'm freezing' in several different languages. Actually the cold has not come YET, but my dread of it has.


Sudbury is a great city that sits on the Canadian Shield. Here is said shield:


As we learned in grade 10 geography, the Canadian Shield is all that protects us from Alaskan invasions and the cruel hand of Old Man Winter. He is like Old Man River, but with less soul.

Or else it's a bunch of rock.


The people in Sudbury are so cold they have literally become nothing more than shadows of themselves:


Just kidding! That happened because they were so bored. KIDDING! Everyone who is from Sudbury or living here for an extended period of time complains about how awful it is, but so far I have had a gas. Yesterday I heard a science lecture in a bar!

More specifically, I am here:


Which is even more exciting than Sudbury!

We started yesterday. It's a very beautiful stage, pretty big but feels intimate. I've never been in a production this big before...I'm not used to people building all this stuff. It's really wonderful and exciting and as much as I feel like a newb because I'm so impressed by it all, it's also nice to still be able to marvel at things. I guess I am not too disenchanted. I guess I also haven't been working in theatres for a while....



I'm intimidated and nervous, but having a good time. Trying to keep the nerves out so that I can keep trying things and not worry. Because that's not the work. I"m just trying to do the work. Right now there are so many parts that are not gelled yet: the lines, the blocking, the characterization. Especially the characterization. I am trying not to get locked into anything and keep pushing, trying to find things.

I'm still not used to being JUST an actor, and that puts a premium on doing your ONE job well. Normally I also have to be carrying the set or finding clothes that I can wear at home and striking and all that. Here I just have to act, so I better be pretty good at it. I don't know....the caterpillar is hard! Eep.

Everyone in the cast is very talented. There are so many talented people! Jeez.

Some of them can do things on jumping stilts:



They make you more machine than man.

It is pretty awesome. I, of course, have no special skills. Except for my insatiable sushi consumption and the ability to cry at long distance commercials. But no one is really interested in seeing either of those. Not when you can see jumping stilts!

I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. That I don't even know how to be in the room, or how I got into the room in the first place. I'm just trying to keep going despite all those feelings. I guess that's all you can do? Do the feelings ever end? So far, it hasn't put a damper on my excitement. IT IS SO FUN TO BE WORKING. Yesterday we did a bunch of stuff with sticks and hoops, creating Alice's movement through the tunnel and down the rabbit hole. I love that shit. I could do that all day long, just thinking of different ways to play with the sticks and create these impressions.

Ok, now I have to go learn some lines. Man, not knowing your lines sucks. I just want to know them so that I don't have to feel like an asshole!

No comments:

Post a Comment