Monday, March 1, 2010

La Repetition

We're going to do it again and again....and again....and again and again!

Oh Simpsons. I would be a better person if I opened a blog post with a quote from classic literature, or probably even The Godfather or something, but that's just not how I roll.

La repetition is french for 'the repetition'. And also, 'the rehearsal'. I had rehearsal today. It was ok. I get insights into how I work and then I worry that the way I work isn't right. I feel like I move slower than the other people I'm in the play with, I like to layer things and try things out and it takes me some time to really get into the world of the play and start making connections. Maybe that means I'm not that bright? The other people in the play seem to come in with more decisions made, but I like to explore more. I used to think I was extremely intense, but maybe things have changed, because now I'm kind of feeling like I want to take my time and let the play piece it self together for me. Maybe it's also just the play...it's very cryptic. It's a mystery. It's one of the things that attracted me to working on it.

It is a lot of people giving notes....there are four people on the other side of the table, and then the other actors give notes, which I usually dislike. And this time is not exception. I'm trying not to get my back up about it because I don't want to be DIFFICULT.

I guess I am extremely difficult....the way I work clearly doesn't work for everyone. So I'm trying to keep my mouth shut even though it's not ideal for me. Especially because I have been very worried about being a difficult person to schedule thus far. I have had bad timing luck. I used to cancel everything for rehearsals, clear my schedule just to be in a show, and now that's just not possible. Maybe I'm less committed to theatre, but really I think it is just life. It finds a way. Jurassic Park. Life gets in the way more and more now.

Also, learning lines is hard, and it's probably really bad for an actor to struggle the way that I do with them. Eep.

I have to learn lines for Thursday and I have to learn some sides for Friday. I am going to try not to get too pent up about that, because if I get overwhelmed I will fall apart. LET'S KEEP IT TOGETHER.

No comments:

Post a Comment