Saturday, February 5, 2011

For Those Old Honky Tonk Monkeyshines

Wow, I was sitting here lamenting the fact that I don't have anything to blog about because I still have no camera and no life, and then I realized it was 1 a.m. on Sunday morning, right after SNL (Dana Carvey was pretty great tonight, I think), and I remembered that, once upon a time, I was on a TV show that aired at Sunday morning at 1 a.m.

True story.



I regret posting this even as I am typing this! I made my costume, can you tell? Wow. What a genius I am.

I had an overwhelming urge to get back into sketch, because tonight I was hit with the strongest urge to be on SNL I have had since I was 15. I really wanted to be on the show at that point. And before that, when I was like 10, I wanted to be the head writer of both SNL and 'Sesame Street'. I had some idea that they were within walking distance to each other, so I would work on Sesame in the mornings, then walk to NBC at like 5. I know I would be eaten alive in such a competitive, high pressure environment, as I often succumb to overwhelming pressure while, say, choosing a brand of juice to purchase, but when they bring the old guys like Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz back, I am reminded of its hey day. And maybe they were all hepped up on drugs, and maybe they all hated each other when they weren't sleeping together, but there is still something so familial about a sketch group. I'm so naive. I will be eaten alive on the harsh city streets!



I CAN'T BELIEVE THESE ARE ALL ON YOUTUBE!

I'm such a horrific actor, it kind of makes me laugh.

I actually can't even watch these. But putting them up is making me laugh.



How is it even possible that, at one point in my life, I hopped on the GO train every weekend to go to Oshawa and film these? With people I didn't know? And then, how is it possible that they were played on Rogers? It's a mystery. Like the sphinx.

Man, I miss doing sketch so much. No, I really don't. I want to be a legitimate actor and be respected widely for my ease with classical text. But I also often want to dress up and be embarrassed. Luckily I do that in my regular life.

No comments:

Post a Comment