Monday, December 5, 2011

And It's All in Perfect Taste, That You Can Bet


You guys, show openings are so much fun!


I do a lot of shows (like, not a LOT, I am not successful or anything, but I have seen some shows go up in my day), and so often it's just such a panic there is no time to celebrate. Or because everyone does shows all the time, openings are just not that big a deal. I had kind of forgotten that they were a big deal, to be honest.


But for this one we were really ready and waiting for an audience, so there was time to be excited and to CELEBRATE.

AND TIME FOR PEOPLE TO WRITE ME PRAISE.


Hooray for praise!


It was just wonderful to be reminded that a show is a lot of work for a lot of people, and the work doesn't end when the audience comes, but it goes into a new phase. We become a team because we work in concentrated bursts together again and again, but we also become a much bigger team, because it now includes an audience. So the atmosphere felt very festive and full of sugar, MY GOD SO MUCH SUGAR, and the opening crowd was really kind and generous like a Natalie Merchant song.


I work independently so much that there isn't a team doing things like organizing a reception for opening and making cards for the cast. Such a pleasure to work for places with their own space and traditions and people that make it go tickety boo.


Again, these costumes are designed by Charlotte Robertson, and she should design all of your costumes for you forever.

The sisters start out poor and in dull tones.


And then they get amped up by the magic of dolla dolla dolla dolla dolla billz, y'all.


We start the school shows tomorrow, and they're early morning. It's a bit bizarre to have a face full of make up and to be charging in to a show at 9:30 a.m. But, I mean, the alternative is working for a living, so..... I said the other day that the school shows were hard and someone quickly reminded me that corporate 9 to 5 is harder and he is of course right and I am a hole of ass. I'm actually really excited for the school groups to come in. There's a rigour and a fatigue that comes along with doing shows that early, and that often, but I'm looking forward to starting it. Plus, kids with no parents around are really fun.


CAST! What a good lookin' group!

And Modern Love opens in a month and I'm having a coronary episode over it, thankyousomuchforasking.

1 comment:

  1. You are NOT the hole of an ass. And even the people who don't write Opening night cards think you're fabulous. :-)

    ReplyDelete