Monday, October 17, 2011

Clip, Clip Here, Clip, Clip There



New drafts all the time.

New edits all the time.




Though even at its longest it will only be 60 minutes, my script, I feel, is now of substantial girth. Like, it looks like a thing. A thing! It's not 'a couple of pages'. It is a draft. Or a script.


So much gone in to it, so much more still needs to go in. And come out. So many changes to make and think about. So many questions. Tiny little things have big ramifications. Huge changes happen organically.

It's ok, it's ok, it will all get done and it will be the best that I can do, and that's all I can do with it. Although I am notorious for not thinking that our best is good enough....urgh. I hate the phrase 'good enough'. I want everything to be AMMMMAAAAZING.

Although maybe then we'd get bored with amazing. That's kind of where our technology is at, it it amazing and we are bored. Like how Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, plans meals with more subtle dishes to balance bold flavors, there has to be good work and great work and amazing work and not so good, great, amazing work.

I hope what I'm making right now is good...at least good.

It's exciting, I'm coming up to a deadline and the script feels, finally, that it is nearing a point of some kind of completion. I will continue to tinker, but I'll become more of an actor, not have to generate new material all the time. I guess that's sad, but it means the writer in me is free to do new things, which I can't wait for, as writing this just has sent me spiralling into more, and more, and more that I want to create about. And it will start to become a production. New challenges. Things are brewing. Fun.

In other news, I've been incredibly fortunate to see a great deal of excellent Toronto theatre lately. The Maids, The Ugly One, His Greatness, Sex, Religion and Other Hang Ups, In the Next Room, all are somewhere between interesting and transcendent, and just a huge variety of different kinds of show. There's so much more I want to see playing right now and opening soon. It's a pretty great month in Toronto theatre. Inspiring. Hopeful.


No comments:

Post a Comment