Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Bronx is up and the Battery's Down



I went to New York.

I love New York.

I really do.


I talk to other artists and they say they couldn't live there, and I totally get that it is very hard and I would be eaten alive and in a total panic within seconds, but a huge part of me just wants to be there so so badly. I could never afford the lifestyle with any sense of comfort or confidence, and I'd be so overwhelmed by the crowds and worry and all that, but still, but still, but still.


It really is such a mecca for theatre. I saw three shows there, one twice, and I'll talk about them all in subsequent posts, but it's just so inspiring to be in a city that has such successful commercial theatre, that brings people from all over the world, and also has really subversive and interesting, different kind of stuff.


I feel bad saying that because I have seen three shows here in Toronto in the past four days, and they were all very very good, there's an abundance of great stuff to see here right now and I'm overwhelmed and lucky by it. But New York is still different. Right? What is that?




On 30 Rock, when Steve Martin guest stars, he has a line trying to get Liz to live with him, and he says they could move to Canada, and says, 'Toronto is just like New York without all the stuff!' One of my favorite lines. Is that true? It is both true and not true.


So I was very inspired but also sad because it made me feel like this amazing work was possible, but far away.



But either way, I still got to go to New York, which I always love more than almost anything.




So exciting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment