Monday, July 11, 2011

Without Love, Life is Like a Beat that You Can't Follow



Fringe madness.
Like. For real.

I forgot how wonderful but also how very draining Fringe is. It's such a great time, but it's a bit overwhelming. There are so many plays to see and I feel so much obligation to go to my friend's shows, and there are things I want to see because people that I admire or am interested in are in them, and then there's social stuff, and it's all so hot and there's a lot of theatre, and theatre is, as we know, crazy making. Exhibit A: Jessica Moss.


But it really is so much fun. It's like a sport, and we all know that I love when theatre is like a sport. It's true! Good for my competitive spirit and cardiovascular health.

I'm trying to see stuff and trying to be a part of the scene and not feel like I'm not, even when I'm surrounded by people who I wish I felt more comfortable talking to and having a low grade anxiety attack. Because it's pretty great, to see all these people who care about the same thing, and are fighting for the same thing. And there isn't enough for all of us, it's true, but still, we understand what's going on, and every now and then we root for each other and show support in the most astonishing ways, and that's beautiful.

I'm deeply in love with Swoon!


I really adore doing the show. I love it like I loved doing Alice in Wonderland. It is so fun, and challenging in a way that is heartening rather than discouraging. But really, it's just a series of getting to do fun things. Even though my part of the show is pretty sad, it's a pleasure. And all the other parts are like dancing. Singing. Weddings. Parties. Pie shops. Fun. Love. Swoon.


I also believe in it. I think it's talking about something that's real. And yes, it's a series of vignettes, so there isn't the kind of structure that we're used to, but the stories are so so honest, and they're talking about how we all walk around just hoping so hard that we fall in love, or hoping so hard that we don't, and then how when we do, we swoon. And swooning is wonderful, but you lose yourself in that, and that can be hard. Because how can someone keep loving you when you're gone, when you've left? Or when you change. Or when they do. And there's so much funniness in when we do these horribly embarrassing heartbreaking things, and so much sadness when we do dorky cute things, because we're doing them for love, and that's either really beautiful, or really really lonely.

Yes, love is something that I don't understand very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment