Friday, July 29, 2011

But Be a Comical One.


It's hot, but not as hot as it has been.

Boring sentence, no? Boring observation. I don't have enough to do right now.

Tum te tum.


Actually, I have a million things that I could do and should do, not even getting to the strata of things that I REALLY could and should do, like build orphanages and save the whales, but I have a ton of things that would probably make my life better and me better if I did them. Things like learning to drive and cleaning my house and searching for the holy grail of joe jobs that lets me leave for a month to go do shows and pays me handsomely and lets me work erratic and ridiculous hours to accommodate my insatiable desire for the stage.

I could do all those things......

Or.........


I could post leftover photos from Swoon!


Orrrr.......

I could do nothinggggggg allllll the time........There's so much nothing to do! So many episodes of Mad Men to watch on my computer....so many theatre websites to look at and dream about....so many revenge fantasies to watch in my mind....so many things to worry about and hope for. It's hot and summery and I am confused. Enough reason to not do the things I should. But then I feel bad. VICIOUS CYCLE.

There's a lot to do for the next thing I'm working on, which is this:


It is called Long Dark Night and is a film noir musical. For all of you who ever doubted that I would ever be in either a film noir or a musical, I am now in both! (It is terrifying!)



I have to learn my lines and the show has to really, come together. We have a week. Which is both a lot of time and not enough time. I don't know. It will be what it will be and it is a lot of fun and really different from Swoon! and that's sad because I miss Swoon! but also great because its great to do different things.

It's a really old fashioned, Mel Brooks-y, balls out comedy, which is so fun for me and something that I haven't really done in a while...maybe ever? I feel I've done this kind of thing before, but maybe only in improv and sketch and skits, I don't think I've done a show in this style, and if I have, it was years ago. It's so much fun! I try to think about Carol Burnett and Madeleine Kahn and Gilda Radner and Lucille Ball and all those women that I wanted to be growing up. And then do impressions of them.


Awesome pictures, yes? They are taken by Tanja Tiziana, who is really amazing and has lots of good pictures on her website, which is infinitely more interesting than mine.

But comedy is hard and I don't know how funny I am and how funny anything is at any given time. There's a lot of the 'stock' funny stuff in this show, like silly accents and voices and double takes and that kind of thing, and I guess that stuff is funny, but sometimes it isn't, you know? I went and saw my friends at Humber River Shakespeare do The Comedy of Errors over the weekend, and they said the same thing. That it's a broad style show, and they spend time going, 'hmm, is that funny?' and sometimes the audience reaction is not as vocal, and that's scary. This is kind of the same thing. I don't know whether I'm funny. Sometimes I feel myself really trying to be funny, and usually when I am like that, I am anything but. And I am really annoying and everyone reaches for the mute button.


But when comedy works its the best thing in the world, and its really fun to do.

Hee hee, I am a ditzy and silly but on the ball girl friday. I love the term 'Girl Friday' more than almost anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment