Saturday, June 11, 2011

Girls in White Dresses with Cream Colored Sashes


As has been lamented on several occasions, on this blog, when I'm in a show, it's hard for me to find time to write on a regular basis about the show. Whether this is due to my astonishing lack of organizational skills, or is merely another facet in my veritable diamond of flaws, it means that I don't get to talk too much about the shows I'm doing, in a blog that is designed for that exact purpose.


Such is life.

I will, however, find time to post pictures of parties and people wearing fabulous dresses. One thing that can be said of me is my priorities are in order.


Tout Comme Elle is an incredibly special experience and I am continually knocked out that I'm in it. We moved into the theatre (the freaking Bluma Appel!) this week, and even though the scope of this project is so huge, there has been such an effort made to make everyone feel safe and appreciated, that it has been relatively smooth, from my point of view. Maybe this is because I'm kept in an actor bubble. But I think we are all working to be happy and kind with each other.


There are, of course, moments, mostly when we get notes and there is a lot of talking, or when we're trying to do something complicated and there are lots of questions, and lots of people talk at the same time, when it very much feels like there are 50 women involved, and that none of us are the same. But these, in the grand scheme of things, are rare. For the most part, especially onstage, I feel the power of being one in a huge group, I feel the weight and the breath around me, but it doesn't seem unusual, or overwhelming. It feels powerful.

Also, I'm getting used to doing things in a massive group of chicks, so it's just old hat now.


One of the benefits of being in this show is getting treated like a special star because we're a part of the Luminato Festival, so all of these pictures are from the opening night party of Luminato.


Oh, hello Mr. Waiter/Actor. You'd like to offer me another free glass of wine? Well, if you insist. Also, one of your compatriots had some sort of pork product, could that possibly come back here so I can shove it down my throat? You are too kind.


I'm so uncomfortable at those parties, but it was so nice to be in a group, and it is very fun to spend an evening feeling entitled to company and vitriols. WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU ARE OUT OF FREE GIFT BAGS? OUTRAGE! Kind of fun. Can't get used to it. Back to the salt mines.



I want so many more pictures of this show. The costumes are absolutely incredible, so sexy and soft and feminine, and everyone looks amazing. I mean, look how hot these girls are.


AND THAT'S JUST THE BEGINNING.


This is a fraction of the cast, and our costumes are even hotter than the dresses we wear to impress rich arts donors.


Girls, girls, girls.


I'm having a wonderful time. Someone else who is in the cast said to me that even the parts she is finding difficult, even the people who are driving her crazy, she's enjoying it. She's kind of getting a kick out of the hard parts and people, and that's an oddly satisfying feeling. Perfection is boring, and, plus, it's not even that perfect, when you're there. So if you can find a way to appreciate the little irks and make them like little grains of salt and pepper that keep things exciting, then I think you just have a ball. And I'm finding that. I get frustrated when I can't hear things, or when there are too many voices, I just shut down and then I feel stupid. But there's also something in me that rallies at those moments and wants to surge forward and attack, and that's such a valuable place to be in when I'm rehearsing, I find. It feels ready and dynamic.

SO BRING IN THE AUDIENCE.

No comments:

Post a Comment