Sunday, May 1, 2011

I'm as Trite and as Gay as a Daisy in May

IT'S MAY!!!!

I have been looking forward to May because the past few months have been womp wommmmp.....

May means two things!

1) My show with Theatre Caravel presented at Canadian Stage's Festival of Ideas and Creation.

2) Tout Comme Elle rehearsals start!

These things mean other things:

1) Wah I have to learn all these lines.

2) Yay between these things and this Fringe show I am helping with I have rehearsal practically every day for a month.

3) Holy God rehearsal every day for a month.

4) Damn I wonder what I remember of Tout Comme Elle. I also wonder if I can do all the squatting that show demands.

Some of those rehearsals happen here:



It is very fun to say 'I am returning from a rehearsal at Canadian Stage'. Or, alternatively, 'I will now go to my rehearsal at Canadian Stage'. Or, if you must, 'Drat, I guess today I won't be at Canadian Stage rehearsing. However, I will, in future, be rehearsing at Canadian Stage'. Versatile.


It's so nice to have space. It's such a luxury. Up til now we rehearsed this in a living room. My fringe show has rehearsals in apartments. The first fringe show I ever did was rehearsed entirely in a bed room, with the director directing from his bed. To have space to move in, to be in the space where you will perform, it's huge. It's kind of amazing that I take it for granted now....I went through years of never thinking I'd rehearse in a designated rehearsal space.

This show is exhausting. I have written myself a show that takes the wind out of myself.


Tired and blurry, what is up with my camera?
Anyway, the show almost seems impossible to do when I think about it, but then I actually just do it and it is not so bad. It's like, every day I go to rehearsal and I go, 'I don't know how to do this, I don't know my lines, this is so hard', and we just do it and it isn't so bad. Today I was even saying how I thought some scenes would be monsters and they aren't at all.

You just have to do it.

It's like the 'shit or get off the pot' stage. It sucks to have to actually work, complaining and being worried is easier than actually getting off of my ass and making things happen. But complaining and being worried aren't the work, so they don't get you farther, whereas the work does. Even if its bad slow awful work, it does. Why is this hard to remember? Maybe I should get it tattooed on my neck....


In other news, I combined my loves of baking and theatre to put an octopus on a cake for my friends at Theatre Caravel.


Don't judge my cake skills on this. Octopi are hard to draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment