Thursday, March 10, 2011

Right, I Know, Yes, Me and Balzac...

So, as we know, I'm on a quest to become a writer.

I have always wanted to be a writer, but in terms of my dream theatrical career, I want to create my own work. Work for me!!!! Wouldn't that be grand? And maybe, if I get good, and am feeling generous, work for others. This has been a little seed of desire for as long as I can remember, and is now a full blown tree pulsing within me and desperate for nourishment. See how good I write?

Anyway, that's partly why I started a blog, so that I could write every day, and people would maybe see it (this part is less good), and then I would become QUEEN OF THE INTERNET and maybe one day I could make money just writing.

So I'm trying to write more. Here are ways I'm doing that:

1) I'm writing for a fringe show (just a part of it, its a collective, so that's cool).
2) I'm writing for a workshop presentation that goes up in May (I actually have to write pretty much the whole thing, so that's cool).
3) I'm writing a million plays as always.
4) I'm writing in random places.

ONE OF THE RANDOM PLACES IS HERE.

This is a project created by my friend Brianna Goldberg, who actually is a professional journalist/writer, and is amazing at it.


Brianna and I met when we were Hermia and Helena in a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. She's the pretty blonde in the fetching sack dress. I'm the vision in orange and blue.


This show was years ago but it remains one of my all time favorite theatre experiences. Partly because Helena was (and still is) a dream part. I want to do it again. I lover her so so much. So getting to play it was amazing.

And it just ended up being this lucky situation where everyone got along and was really funny and cool and I had the best time. People from this show are still very supportive. While most of the cast members are now living in different parts of the world, when they were in Toronto, they came out and saw all my shows again and again.


Oh, and it was set in the '80's.


Punk fairies and ghettoblaster mechanicals.

So Brianna is a genius and talented in many ways. She loves Virgina Woolf, and as this month is the anniversary of her death, she started this blog project where people would find relevance in Woolf's writings. She takes a piece of writing, and smashes it against a pop culture reference (already used have been American Idol, John Galliano, and Lady Gaga). She writes one funny/ironic spin on the two ideas being brought together, and one more solemn, to represent the two sides of Woolf. As Virginia said, 'The beauty of the world which is so soon to perish, has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder'.

It's very fun and cool and I love it. I want to do more with different authors. Most notably Sylvia Plath because I heart her.

Anyway, check out that blog! It's full of awesome. Here's the first one I wrote, which smashes Virginia Woolf's essay 'Middlebrow', with the recent Charlie Sheen situation.

So I'm trying to be a writer! Yipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment