Thursday, October 7, 2010

What is My Life Going to Be?

I suppose this is what it is to work in theatre, to be insanely busy, and then to be not busy enough.

I'm kind of busy....? No, not really. Not creatively.

When I slow down like this it's very hard to rev myself back up. Creative work breeds more creative work, both in that your synapses are firing and you're thinking about things and experiencing things and having new ideas, and in that people see you're working and want to work with you. When you're not working, or working very little, it's hard to get new projects, either by yourself or from others.

I'm excited about the two little things that I'm doing, but I'm also covered in malaise. Yum. Malaise. Sounds like mayonnaise.

It's hard to do anything for me when there's no structure, no fire. And I have things I should be doing. Prep for Sudbury. Writing. Exercising. Life....?

Life....? Oh right, that. I don't have enough of one.

I guess I don't really just talk about theatre on this blog, although in most of my thinking and talking, I do end up thinking and talking about theatre. This is really about my life through the filter of theatre, and sometimes I don't blog because that filter limits me.

I feel my life, in wide-screen, as it were, if I don't look at everything in relation to theatre, because that gives everything an angle, is not interesting enough to be blogged about. It really isn't even interesting enough to be lived. Malcolm Gladwell, who I'm a big fan of even though I feel that everyone is a fan of Malcolm Gladwell, so who cares, it is like liking The Beatles or chicken fingers, it doesn't make you smart or edgy or anything, it just makes you a member of the human race, but I have read all his books and think about them lots, he says that everything is interesting. That's a part of his writing, that anything, when examined in detail and questioned, and when looked at through some kind of filtering lens, is fascinating, and representative of something, and a part of this universal collage we're all creating every minute. So that if I just take pictures of whatever I do, and occasionally blog about the people and the things that come through my little world, it will be interesting. Except....I don't think it is. I don't know if it is.

I guess all this feeds the creation that will one day leap out of me fully formed, like Athena from Zeus, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment