Saturday, October 23, 2010

Freely Flows the Blood of Those Who Moralize

So yesterday I read Macbeth in a Bolton bookstore....

Aloud.


?????

I'm trying to write about the small theatre-related things I do, mostly to remind myself that I am an actor, even when I go through lengthy stretches of time where I only do small theatre-related things and work as a babysitter. Well, it has been two months (and will be three) before I have another major project. I had two little things in between. Is that a long stretch to go without working? I don't even know anymore. How much do the real actors work? Is it just that their projects seem of higher stature and therefore more valuable so that there can be less of them? How am I doing, anyway? Can someone please grade me? I will show all my work.

I'm so confused about being an actor.

But I still sometimes think I might want to be one, and on even more rare occasions think that I might be one anyway, so I did a reading for Humber River Shakespeare.

The bookstore was really really cool!


So cute.


I really want to work in a bookstore. Maybe that is secretly my passion, and theatre has just got in the way. Although I would be dreadful at every single aspect of working a retail job, I think I would love being surrounded by books and people who like to read. I love to read. Sometimes I forget that and go so long without reading anything more strenuous than The Globe and Mail, and then I am overwhelmed with so many books to read that I can't even choose one and end up reading too many at a time. Right now I am re-reading Watership Down because the BBC put it on their list of 100 books and I am trying to read and reread them all because it will give me a sense of purpose, maybe? Or just because I am a brat.

Here's a book I need.


And look who wrote it!


Jesus Christ, you can change your name, but you can't fool me, you are EVERYWHERE!

I do love reading.


Staged readings, though, are difficult.

Your weaknesses as an actor are very exposed. It's just you and the text, so it becomes very quickly apparent when you can't actually hear the text, the metre, etc. Also, in a reading like this, where we all played several characters, you have to really go for characterization. Make choices that are bold but not broad. It's difficult. It's a good exercise.

I did pretty badly, but I'm not even sure. When the house is small it's hard to know what's going on. I wonder if my sense about acting will ever improve. I really never know how I'm doing. I had so much fun and then no one said how amazing I was so I figured I was terrible. What an impossible child I am! I had a good time when I was doing it, though, although I had to stand for a long time and sometimes I forget how hard that is. Wah wah wah.

But I love Macbeth! It is funny. And bloody, so good for Hallowe'en. I want to see it done again, I haven't in a while, just because it really is so effectively BLOODY. Seeped in gore and scare. It is so fast, so much action. I so badly want a BIG MEATY part where I get to see a storyline through and carry a show, but in this play I'd like to do several small things! I got to play most of the parts I would be interested in, and do a really bad job at them, so that's always great. It's probably the only play where that is true. Right now I am so focused on wanting a role that is a challenge and not my constant-comic-secondary-character schtick. Although so far that is all we have coming. Actually, I am really looking forward to doing it in Wonderland....


Ta Da!

Onwards.......

No comments:

Post a Comment