Sunday, April 1, 2012

Like Rama lama lama, de ding a de ding de ding.

Week one (preview week) down.

We continue to tinker and refine and while this initially was worrying me, afraid that all the changes would exceed my incredibly limited cranial capacity, things are kind of starting to make sense. I think this is moving towards a sense of my ownership of the work and the part. There were places that I felt were going in an opposite direction to the ideas that I initially came in thinking, but now it seems that they're returning there anyway.

We've been talking a lot about 'integration', about bringing things together, and I think that is happening, to a very small degree. Things are making sense. When they aren't, I'm trying new approaches to them, and then, even if it's in ways I can't describe, they're making a bit of sense. I think the play is integrating and I"m integrating into the play. There are still crunchy moments, and challenges, and all of that, but...there's also moments that settle and crackle and good good good.

Daniel has said again and again, 'The play knows more than I do', and it's a good thought to hold on to. The actor's or director's work as being to get out of the plays' way. That's hard. I'm oh so smart and just want to spread a thick layer of JESS all over everything!

It's that balance, for me which is most pointedly marked in pace. I have to give each word weight, take my time, and I also have to jump my own cues, keep the ball in the air. The balance of letting the play be and moving the play along. Helping it to reveal itself. The play is revealing itself to me more and more every night. Lots of new things to think about and live in and experience with the audience (even if, like today's audience, that also means experiencing their cell phones. Guy).

I think (THINK) it is coming together.

And now, a moment of vanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment