Tuesday, August 16, 2011

But Now Go With Dignity



So, another one down.

Our houses were pretty solid the whole way through, which was great, and a bit unexpected, for me, as we didn't have a ton of pre press. SummerWorks is hard. You're competing against the people who you apply to for the rest of the year, because there are emerging artists but also really established people. It's also a bit of an inner circle thing...I have never really felt a part of it. I find it exhausting and intimidating, and even when I'm in shows that are part of the festival, I feel like I'm crashing a party I haven't been invited to whenever I see shows.

But, of course, I'm a crazy person and not to be listened to.

Anyway, I didn't see very much, but I did see ONE, which was an Orpheus/Eurydice type tale from Calgary and I wept hysterically during it. It was so beautiful. So many images that I wanted to create myself, I was watching things I had dreamed of be put onstage in front of me. Weird. Sad, kind of? But also amazing. And then I saw some other stuff and that was kind of ok too.


I wish I had more pictures of Long Dark Night, although the promo shots were kind of killer and nothing could match them. Mostly I just wish that I had some shots of my in my costume, which was kind of really beautiful. And my hair was awesome.






It was a hard one, just because it never felt like we were ready and I don't really like feeling that way. But I loved the show, and I loved my character, and it's the kind of part I've wanted to do for so long and never thought I'd get a chance to do. Plus, I got to be in a musical, and it made me think that maybe if I worked hard on all the stuff that you need to do in musicals, which I wouldn't mind doing, I could do more. And we all know that musicals are the nearest and dearest to my heart. Our reviews were mixed, but I got singled out a lot. Which is nice, I guess, but it's nicer when the production as a whole works and is recognized.

I feel a vague sense of sadness and I'm reluctant to say its post show depression, because I feel it kind of hasn't hit me. We had so many days off because you only get six shows at the festival, so I have had lots of days without shows, without rehearsals. But I guess having two days in a row without anything is weird. I've been doing the things that the humans do. Going to the gym. Responding to emails in a timely manner. Sitting. I have become one of the women reading The Help. Ugh.

I'm grateful for a break but also kind of antsy already. I haven't really relaxed because I have two little theatre things that I'm doing next week to help out some friends, so I still feel I have shit to do. On one hand, I'm tired and eager to not be involved in any performance. On the other, I know it will about twenty minutes before I start worrying and wanting to be in a show. After that stuff next week though, I'm anticipating the dam breaking. And it won't be pretty.


Boo boo be doo!

Set.


Burst through set!


No comments:

Post a Comment