Wednesday, September 15, 2010

There's the bold, brave spring of the tiger that quickens your walk.

I went to New York.

I love New York.

I feel that city feeds me in a way that is probably mostly in my head, created through too many tv shows and movie musicals that mythologized the place.

I thought a lot about commitment and how important it is in the work.

There was an amazing installation at the MoMA. Created by Yoko Ono, it is a microphone (which is not on) in a pretty empty gallery room. There are instructions on the wall that tell you to scream against the wind, against the world...whatever. I watched this for a long time. It was fascinating. It was a fascinating reminder that it is interesting to watch people be COMMITTED. People who actually screamed, who went up, and knew what they were going to do and did it, were wonderful to watch. Everything else was a disappointment. The people who got up and made a joke of it, the people who got up and expected the mic to carry them, the people who only kind of did it, this is not interesting. What is interesting is the people who commit. When someone goes up and really did it, everyone would applaud, and it would start a rush of people going up and screaming themselves. It invigorated the entire space and everyone in it. When someone made a joke of it, the momentum died.

So important to remember.

IT IS SO INTERESTING TO WATCH SOMEONE REALLY DO SOMETHING.

And on that note, I saw 'La Cage Aux Folles' on Broadway, and while there was amazing work from the Cagelles and Douglas Hodge had lots of good moments as Albin, Kelsey Grammar as Georges was a reminder that commitment is what I want to see.

He seemed so uncomfortable, didn't finish his movements...ugh. He didn't seem to want to be there. How could he not be? Come on, Frasier! You're on Broadway! BE on Broadway!


Maybe he needed some tossed salads and scrambled eggs.

And tomorrow I will talk about one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had in a theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment